Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ariel from The Little Mermaid Nail Art

Hi guys!! Today I bring you another installment of Disney characters on my nails! After Jane, I was obsessed. I knew I needed to do Ariel because, duh, I heart mermaids and red hair and the ocean and you can check out my mermaid tail nails here and the red version of the mermaid tail here.

PLEASE tell me you love mermaids as much as I do!!













Taken in indirect sunlight
Sorry for the shaky hands!! I didn't manage to draw the lines as straight as I wanted and my eyes were getting tired from aligning the brush and trying to draw the outline.

I used a bajillion polishes to do this design (okay I only have that many bottles, not even close to 100) but I managed to compile the list:

Thumb:
  • China Glaze - Kalahari Kiss
  • China Glaze - Salsa
  • China Glaze - First Mate
  • China Glaze - White on White
  • Orly - Liquid Vinyl 
  • Love & Beauty - milky white
  • The Face Shop - BR802
You can see the rest of the designs in the pictures below:

Index:
  • 2 coats of China Glaze - Kalahari Kiss as a base
  • The Face Shop - PP401 and a random purple polish for the shell top
  • Sally Hansen - Lickety Split Lime and Sally Hansen - Mint Sprint for the tail
Middle:
  • 2 coats of (my drying) Revlon Top Speed - Yellow as a base
  • The Face Shop - BL602 for the stripes
Ring:
  • 2 coats of The Face Shop - BL602 as a base
  • Sponged on a gradient of China Glaze - First Mate, The Face Shop - BL602 and Love & Beauty - baby blue
  • Used The Face Shop - YL702 and a striper brush to draw the moon
Little:
  • 2 coats of Love & Beauty -  baby blue for the base
  • Sponged on a gradient of The Face Shop - BL602
  • Used a striper brush, Sally Hansen - Mint Sprint and The Face Shop -  to create the bed of corals.

Taken in indirect sunlight
From left to right: Ariel's bikini top and tail, Flounder's scales, the reflection of the moon minus Ariel sitting on the rock ala the picture at the top of the post, and finally the bed of corals that symbolize Ariel's home.

Taken with flash
Taken with retro filter

Taken in indirect sunlight



I did all five nails in an hour which is a vast improvement from spending an hour on solo Jane on my thumbnail.

I'm pleased at how her eyes, nose and skin tone turned out... And I love the other designs so much!

BUT I'm not sure I managed to capture the true expression of Ariel here which saddens me because I want to do my favorite mermaid justice. My Ariel is more like meh, not frickin' impressed while the real Ariel is like hmmm, I wonder what's above the sea...

None of my red polishes match her bright red hair so I had to stick with China Glaze - Salsa though now come to think of it I should've used the red-pink polish.

What do you think though? How are these nails for a second attempt at doing semi-realistic painting?? Does it look okay, passable, so-so? Would you have me redo these nails? (I would) Or do you like them? -hopeful- Do you prefer my Jane nails or this set of Ariel nails?

Check out my Jane Porter nails here! If you have any Disney princess nail art requests, I'd love to hear them and take them into consideration. <3

Thanks for reading!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. I love reading comments - they make my day! I always and eventually reply to comments because I appreciate receiving feedback.
If you're reading an old post of mine and love it, don't hesitate to comment. I love seeing love for my designs/posts no matter when I post them.
If you like my blog, please feel free to follow me on Twitter, Tumblr or Pinterest as well. xx